Tracking outbound urls on the library’s homepage

After a long hiatus from tinkering with library technology due to chairing a classroom renovation committee and doing the backend work of a book inventory project, I finally got to some of my sidelined to-do lists.

Google Analytics (GA) is one popular tool used for tracking website usage, however, the default setup only tracks usage within the domain listed in the settings. For a library with lots of links to external resources like catalogs, journal finders, databases, etc. the default setting can feel lacking. It’s also only so interesting to know x number of people visited your site, spent at most a few minutes on your homepage and left. Event Tracking solves that dilemma.

At first, Event Tracking looks like a lot of coding but it doesn’t have to be. Google Developers pages so nicely directed me to some GA code on GitHub called autotrack. By adding the javascript file to your webserver and a few lines of code to your already existing GA code on your website . If you don’t already have GA, GA gives you the basic code to insert when setting up a site and the additional autotrack lines get inserted into that.

Right now, I’ve added outboundFormTracker to track our LibAnswer search box, eventTracker to track our EDS search box (it wasn’t acting like a form for autotrack, so I did have to add a small amount of code to the submit input item), outboundLinkTracker to track everything else. So far, the heaviest usage from our homepage is EDS and our database list. I look forward to seeing what is and isn’t really used over the summer and into the fall semester.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s